Pendant lighting can be very a versatile tool in home design. Light up one specific area with a single pendant light, or use multiple together to illuminate a wider space and make a statement. Unlike flush-mounts, pendant lights typically hang from the ceiling by either chain, wire, or stem to give a more dramatic feel and add interest to a space (while lighting the way, of course!). As you shop for the perfect pendant light fixture for your home, keep the following information in mind to help guide your decision.
Which style of pendant light should I get?
You have an abundance of choice when it comes to pendant lighting styles. Here are some of the more common types you may want to consider, or eliminate, from your selections based on your needs.
- Mini pendant lights are 12 inches wide or less and have a more narrow stream of light that can shine on smaller details that you wish to put the spotlight on. Cluster a group of them over a kitchen island to mimic the lighting of one bigger pendant light fixture. Try a kitchen island light
if you want the larger pendant look in lieu of multiple smaller fixtures.Drum
- Their larger size makes drum pendant lighting more qualified to light up a wider area, including smaller rooms or a defined space, like a dining area. The simplicity of their style makes them a winner in many different decor tastes.Bowl
- The uplighting of bowl pendants will reflect off the ceiling to give a softer, ambient glow. This is often better for general, or ambient, lighting where you aren’t needing to focus on specific tasks.Bulb
- When you want the bare minimum, go for a bulb pendant. This style puts the emphasis on the bulb and often the cord that it hang from, so pick a unique light bulb like an edison style
- The downlighting of a dome pendant will be less focused than mini fixtures but will give more of a task lighting effect than the bowl style might.
Decorative - Need a fun foyer pendant or a statement piece for your dining table? Try something with a more decorative touch, like a lantern pendant light
or novelty pendants
It’s important to consider your current wiring situation before commiting to a new fixture. If you have recessed lights where you want to hang a pendant fixture, you’re in luck! You can convert those to accommodate pendant lighting with a conversion kit. Another option is to opt forPlug-in pendant lights
with a swag that swings over to the spot you want to hang it from.
Where can I use pendant lighting?
All over, just make sure it’s to scale for the space and surface you are trying to light up. Keep in mind that these are just guideline and can be adjusted depending on the height of you and your family and overall preferences.
More: 3 Types of Lighting and How to Use Them in Your Home
- Dining Table: The pendant should be suspended about 30 to 36 inches above the table to leave room for passing dishes and unobstructed views of your fellow diners. This will allow for ample illumination while reducing glare at the same time.
- Kitchen Island or Counter:: The bottom of your pendant light should float about 30 inches above the counter surface. For desks, bring the light in closer to the work surface by allowing your pendant lamp to float about 16 inches from the surface. If you plan to cluster multiple pendants, keep them about 24 to 30 inches apart, depending on their size.
- Foyer: Illuminate your space without encroaching on head space by suspending your hanging lamp about seven feet from the floor.
- Bathroom: Cast a flattering light in your bathroom vanity area by suspending an eye-catching pendant lamp or cluster of pendant lights near eye level and about 18 inches from the center of your sink. This unconventional lighting style will eliminate those pesky shadows under your chin, cheeks and eyes.
- Ceilings Higher Than Eight Feet: If you have ceilings taller than eight feet, be sure to add on three inches for each additional foot of ceiling height.
Find where to buy Pendant Lighting and get inspired with our curated ideas for Pendant Lighting to find the perfect item for every room in your home. With such a wide selection of Pendant Lighting for sale, from brands like Innovations Lighting, Hubbardton Forge, and Toltec Lighting, you’re sure to find something that you’ll love. Shop from Pendant Lighting, like the 4-Light 12" Modern Gold Pendant or the Stella Moravian Star Metal/Glass LED Flush Mount, while discovering new home products and designs. Whether you’re looking to buy Pendant Lighting online or get inspiration for your home, you’ll find just what you’re looking for on Houzz.